Thursday 12 March 2009

"We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on You"

December 16, 2007

When I was younger, I would read through the Bible, and would learn the stories, and be good at Bible trivia questions and sword drills and such… but I didn’t really hear from You personally. It was, to me at that time, an interesting story with some good “morals” etc… but it was not for me, at least not very much at all, Your Word… Your direction, teaching, guidance, counsel, encouragement, warning, etc – for me. Thank You for putting Your Spirit in me, for giving me a new heart and life – a lively heart that, through Your Spirit, is united to You, in relationship, child to Father and Father to child – and even “sibling” of Jesus Your Son, my Lord! Wow!!! Thank You for opening my heart, for opening Your Word to my heart! Praise Your Holy Name!

2 Chron 20:12 O our God… we are powerless against this great multitude that is coming against us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon thee… 15 Thus says the LORD to you, ‘Fear not, and be not dismayed at this great multitude; for the battle is not yours but God’s…. 20 ‘Believe in the LORD your God, and you will be established; believe his prophets and you will succeed… 21 .. Give thanks to the LORD, for his steadfast love endures for ever…

Those words just grabbed me: “We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon thee”!

Process:
-- big problem: unsolvable! - recognized: we are powerless!
-- but he immediately gathered the people, went to the temple, fasted (repentance, humbling – which followed upon lives being lived in obedience to and fear of God) – and cried out – prayed – to God for help and deliverance! “We can’t do it – but You can! We’ll do it Your way! Please take over this problem!”
– and God’s response: “Don’t be afraid! The battle is Mine! Not yours”
– they bow their heads, face to the ground – worship God in humbleness and gratefulness and recognition of His might and power and rule!
– then stand up and praise God – recognizing Him for who He is: our God! – loud praise!
-- verbal assurance and encouragement: Believe in God! (and in His Word, as given through His prophets etc) – then: you will be established. You will succeed (trust, obey, seek, follow…)
– and Finally, before actually “marching into battle” consecrated ones (hearts cleansed, made holy) are appointed to: sing to the Lord! Praise Him in holy array! Go before the army: preparation, recognition and proclamation that God is our leader, He is leading us into battle; the strategy and the victory is His! Give thanks… for His steadfast love endures forever – worship and praise: recognizing, worshiping, praising Him for who He is – His character which cannot change and can be totally counted on!
-- And the result: God set an ambush against the enemy and they were totally destroyed – the battle was God’s: His plans, His unique ways, His power – His victory!
-- the people returned with joy: immediately went to the temple – before God, in His Presence – to praise Him with joy, with music (something I’ve tuned out too much lately… forgive me and help me, please, dear Lord! Thank You!)
-- And the fear of God came upon those who would otherwise be trying to attack. God gave rest to His people because they had turned to Him, trusted, believed in Him, obeyed, prayed, praised, worshiped, thanked, humbled themselves, recognized Him as God, rejoiced in Him….

Thank You, Lord, form reminding me… of things I “knew” and yet was not acting upon… forgive me for not truly recognizing, trusting in, worshiping, depending upon… You!

Please change me, dear Lord! In Jesus’ name, Amen! So be it! thank You, Lord God – Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit! One God – my (our!) God! Amen! Praise Your Holy Name! Please help me always to recognize that I am powerless and don’t know what to do… And keep my eyes glued on You! thank You Lord!

No comments: