Friday 13 March 2009

Our way, our pride.... vs the way of the cross - Your way!

October 20, 2008

Just "reading through" in Exodus - the crossing of the Red Sea, the manna... and the expectation of God for His people of holiness, righteousness, obedience - they had the cloud (and fire) to guide them: and the word of God through Moses: Moses was God's friend: close, intimate relationship!

We have a "friend who sticks closer than a brother" ... or sister... or mom or dad even! We have His Spirit - the Spirit of Christ - the Spirit of God Himself - living within us. It is He who guides us and provides for us. Not of works, lest we should boast. Yes, we are not to be lazy. We are to work to provide food and other basic needs for our families. But even that is a providence of God.

But we've - I've! - been trying so hard to figure out my talents, experiences, training, skills, (and spiritual gifts) and then think, "What job am I suited for? What ministry/service has God prepared me for?" Then I either jump into some "program" that others have started, or I even (oh dear) "dream up" some "vision" (which I assume, even believe, is from God, because it's based on my talents and gifts etc which God has given me... and you know, it might even be His vision!) and then I "step out, into the Jordan/ into the Red Sea," take "faith," take action, and do whatever - preferably something big, important, successful, admirable - I think or "see" as "the way" to "fulfill my (God's?) vision."

In Exodus, over and over, God says, "Stand by and see the salvation of the LORD which He will accomplish for you today... The Lord will fight for you while you keep silent." (Ex 14:13-14). So yes, the people took part in the "work": in this case they had to be obedient and walk into and through the sea (interesting: the way was already clear! ... and at the Jordan, the people already knew God was going to make dry ground to cross on... and it was only the priests carrying the ark who actually stepped into the water: the ark was the "seat" of God's Presence - and it was God who parted the waters: the people did not cross till the land was dry!

And here's another thing... over and over the people were told to "consecrate themselves" before stepping out in obedience to God and taking part in His plan.. and look what happened when they tried to do things their way, when they were already in disobedience - UNconsecrated... sometimes they would do the "rites" but even then God knew their hearts!

Looking back... our leaders have preached wonderful truth... but somehow so much of man's ways have gotten mixed into it: it wasn't just individuals of course: they were just passing on what they'd read and learned from others - the whole "North American church" it seems to me was so into big buildings, big programs, "success"... not to mention individualism, drawing potential converts by offering them what they wanted, etc...

NOT the way of the cross!

We were taught about character and integrity etc - good things - but somewhere along the line it became about US more than (almost completely...) about YOU.

Thinking about it makes me feel more SAD than angry... because our leaders did mean well, and they even did believe in what they were saying and preaching... but at some point the ideas of man got way mixed up with the word of God...

Oh Father, I'm so afraid of that happening (already? still?) with me! I don't want to be a "leader"! Because - what if I am wrong and lead others astray? How way too easy it is to get drawn astray and not even see it.

But I know YOU can and will prevent it - if we are really, really, really trusting and obeying You -living, totally, truly, IN THE VINE - in unbroken relationship...
That's Your PLAN and PURPOSE...

But oh, our old fleshly nature (and the enemy, and the world!) sure doesn't want that for us...

But YOU are ALL-POWERFUL! You are the way, the truth, the light and life!
You are my strength, my solid rock, my guide, my shepherd (unfailing!), my Savior (I'm washed clean - forever - in Your blood!)...

It is possible! totally! to walk with You... if You are allowed (if I allow You) to be 100% in charge....

I SEE! When the church seems to move from YOUR WORD to embrace the world's ideas of "success"... PRIDE is taking hold! We boast of being things like the biggest church in town, the most baptisms, best worship team, fantastic entertaining preacher, large leadership team, so loving...

But "PRIDE GOES BEFORE A FALL!"

Oh Lord! Please keep me humble... A lot if not most/all of my "falls" have PRIDE at their root. I know... and I'm so sorry...

No comments: