Friday 13 March 2009

Thinking about the words of the songs we sing...

Monday, April 07, 2008

I got an email from PTMin about a video on YouTube about the book Pagan Christianity. It was interesting… and led to some interesting links, one especially I found thoughtful… It related, for me, not only to “church” but also to the whole “Christian School” thing… I told ___ yesterday, at Sunday Soup, that I had put in my school teaching resignation… He said an interesting thing about attending church (he has started coming out to Abundant Life again, occasionally, as his granddaughter wants to go to Critters Cove etc)…

anyway he mentioned that a lot of the songs we sing don’t have very good theology… I had been wondering myself why so often I don’t get drawn into the music like I used to… some songs still grip me though… I wonder if it has something to do with the words… or if maybe knowing You a bit better means I don’t need to get “caught up” by music… I know ____ is careful about songs, only chooses ones that he thinks have good theology, and even changes words if he thinks the theology is wrong… of course he and ___ don’t see eye-to-eye on some points of theology… but I surely do see that ___ seems to be falling more and more in love with You… I think his illness had something to do with that, he has been different afterward… he sure seems to be closer to his wife too…

No comments: