Tuesday 10 March 2009

Real fellowship as part of our lifestyle, not just scheduled? And concern about "our vision"

Aug 8, 2005

Lord, something that is heavy on my heart is how when we are with other Christian people, we do sometimes chat with them about You, but we rarely if ever pray or get into Your Word. I want real fellowship to become part of my lifestyle, not just something we do in a scheduled life group, or Bible study, or church service. Move our hearts toward including You in all our dealings together, please. Thank You!

Lord, it seems to me that at church we've gotten somehow hung up on our "vision." And although there's probably nothing inherently wrong with those kinds of goals and desires, we need to remember that, first and always, You are to be our vision! Oh, dear God, let our focus be on You alone! Like the old hymn says, "Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart; Naught be else to save me, save that thou art. Thou my best thought, by day or by night, Waking or sleeping, thy presence my light. Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise, Thou mine inheritance, now and always: Thou and thou only, first in my heart, High King of heaven, my treasure thou art."

Lord, the vision You would have for us is not really big buildings and large congregations and great schools and conferences with big-name speakers. Those so easily become things of the world. Lord, I believe there are good things that underlie "the vision"; things like bringing people to You, healing the world's hurt through You - but Lord, our vision sometimes looks frighteningly like the goals of the world, at least on the surface. Of course, Lord, they may be Your plan of how You intend to fulfill Your true vision in this place and time - but Lord, as long as we have our eyes focused on these things and not on You, are we really following Your vision?

No comments: