Tuesday 10 March 2009

Take away my pride; help me focus on You

Aug 16, 2005

Lord, I am feeling so humbled. Humiliated, really. I am such a rank beginner in the things of the Spirit. I was thinking I finally had something worth teaching and sharing with others (what I have been studying about the Spiritual Disciplines). I felt that somehow I had reached at least a small level of maturity. But now I feel like I really haven't started at all. I can see that this study group I will be leading will not be a teaching or even facilitating experience for me. It must be a "sitting and learning together at the feet of the Master" experience. In myself I have nothing to offer. Anything I can do in this group can only be "submitting my members" to Christ, allowing Him to do His work in any way that pleases Him, using me only if and as He wills and purposes.

Forgive me, please Lord, for my arrogance in thinking that "I" have something to offer. Please take away my pride and my desire to impress others. Help me to focus only on You and on Your guidance and approval. I have nothing to offer in myself. Only "Christ in me" gives me any value. And amazingly, because of Christ in me, I have value in Your sight! Wow! Thank You.

Aug 21, 2005

Just before our Pastor left on his sabbatical, he preached, stressing, "Don't do anything without the Holy Spirit!" This is something that I have truly learned on this surprising summer vacation. Your ways and thoughts are truly above ours. You do accomplish Your Word within us as we open ourselves to Your work in our lives. And I do not need to fear, because I have learned that You do prosper all that You purpose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I am thinking about my pride tonight and it is nice to read words from someone who has gone through something similar. I want to use the talents God has given me but I need to remove pride from that and concentrate on serving Him. I want to Glorify Him but I realized tonight that I was too worried about myself.

Norma Hill - aka penandpapermama said...

Thank you for letting me know how Father has used these words I've recorded.

God bless you and continue to raise your eyes to Jesus - He will, I know, because He has done it for me, and keeps on doing it!

:-)