Monday 9 March 2009

Jolly churches... and having trouble applying church teaching in my daily life

Oct 26 2001

There was a time a few years ago where some Christian people were into describing themselves as “King’s Kids.” It was all cheerful and comforting and fun and silly – how dare we handle such an incredibly awesome, serious, life-and-death-dealing issue in such a silly way? Sometimes we make out like God is some benevolent, jolly, Santa-Claus type of jolly old elf. Whatever happened to “fear of God,” bowing in worship and adoration and repentance?!?! (I still have a hard time with “giving the Lord a hand” like He’s just done some jolly thing…).

___ asked that day why churches don’t teach the really important stuff. And lots of them don’t. But even when they do, is anyone really listening and accepting the message and putting it into real application for themselves?? I have been so dull … intellectually I have heard and been able to “fill in the blanks” on the “quiz” … but then I seem to just file it all in the “round file” or store it away in some dusty corner of my “filing cabinet” as interesting trivia, part of my “collection” of facts and figures. Very scary!

No comments: