Tuesday 10 March 2009

Being a Titus older woman... and "doing" for God...

September 14, 2003

Last night at One Eighty (the youth service), my helper was talking and worrying about her plans to marry, because her boyfriend is not a Christian (a good reason to be concerned!). Then she started asking me the meaning of many Scriptures, and even of songs we sing at church. I was surprised at how little she understood, and yet she is so eager to learn, and just soaks it up. And I realized, thinking about it this morning, that here is another opportunity to serve the Lord, just as scripture says: older women teaching younger women (Titus 2). Thank You, Lord!

September 21, 2003

This morning's reading was 1 Corinthians 15. What a wonderful hope we have! To be raised with Christ - a body imperishable, immortal, victorious over death, spiritual, in the image of Jesus. And the final verse such a glorious commission: "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord." (1 Cor 15:58).

Then I went to church this morning, and there was more glory. The pastor spoke on "How do I Know if I'm In the Right Church?" and he emphasized the need for teaching of the true gospel of a relationship and encounter with Jesus, and being really saved, and then going out into the world and bringing others to Jesus. He challenged us to look at our lives and see what more we can give to Jesus, and to get out of things that are holding you back from "doing for God."

This made me think of my job: what are my motives? Am I doing it to make money for myself? - I do find myself buying more junk food and "stuff" than before - or for making myself feel good about myself? or to make it possible for my husband to find a different job if he wants to? or to get the kids off my back about being "poor"? or am I really wanting it to be the Lord's will (He did provide the job, I believe. I hope it was because it was His will, not because I was demanding it). Am I really serving God and seeking to build His kingdom? Am I really in His will for my life? What about my family and other things I could be doing?

At the end of the sermon, the pastor had the worship team come up and lead in a song of dedication, but told us to stay sitting until we were really desiring to follow God totally and to "do" for Him. I couldn't wait more than a few lines of the song before I had to jump up and sing. Then, one of my daughters stood up, then another. Oh Lord, ____ wouldn't come to church again this week. Please work on her heart. And give me the words to say and the actions to do to influence her and lead her to You. Thank You, dear Jesus

No comments: