Monday 3 September 2012

more about choices

(Written on December 2, 2011 in my journal)

Matt 17:5 "...a voice out of the cloud said, 'This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him.'"

So - it's You who speaks, right?  I'm just the "messenger."  The words, the message, are Yours - and of course You plant it and nourish it in peoples' hearts (as they allow You - and/or as You choose ... I have to admit I almost put a :-( referring to either option.  Oh dear.  I can accept (understand) that people often make wrong/evil choices... but I sure find it hard to accept (understand) that You would simply choose to reject many people outright - capriciously even, is how that seems to me.

Yes, I admit that it "doesn't seem fair" to me - and I admit also that my understanding and sense of fairness, and even of righteousness, is probably way too limited, as well as way too self-centered - because when I think about these things, almost always it is in terms of my kids!  But also, it just doesn't fit with either my knowledge and/or my experience of You as the God who is Love, and One who died to save the world so that "none would perish, but all would come to repentance."

(And no, I'm not a universalist.  I'm much too realistic about mankind - though I keep hoping) (for my kids and my grandkids and my kids-in-law, and their families and friends and all) (Maybe I'm a "realist" because I know I'm so hopeless myself....)

No comments: