Tuesday 23 November 2010

4. Post Internet Reading Habits

Recently, at Jesus Creed, Scot McKnight wrote a post called "Your Reading Habits Post Internet."  He asked a series of important questions related to this topic.  I have been thinking about this topic, and jotting down some notes.  Here are my thoughts.
We carry around in our pockets an iPhone or an internet-connected phone. That gadget is a more powerful computer than anyone had a decade or so ago. But the gadget doesn’t create more leisure for us. Instead it shaves time from our leisure. Why is this so?
Ha! I'm not there yet!  But I do think my laptop does the same, because it's so easy to find so much information, and I get wrapped up in it.  Still, it is too bad that I take from my leisure time (like going outside for a walk, or to visit people or do a hobby like sketching), and I know I do that.  It seems "important" somehow.  And it's so easy; I don't have to get up and go places, and I just keep reading and reading.  Time flies by without me realizing it.

I also think that because I feel I am "interacting" with other people on-line (blog comments, facebook, chats, etc) that I am visiting or in a community, and I really like that ... but after awhile I realize I'm a lot lonelier with on-line "interaction" than when I'm interacting with people face to face. 

On the other hand, I love that I can talk to people who are interested in some niche topics, when I can't find interested people locally.  And I love that I can keep up easily with family and friends far away; especially as people are so transient these days.  But I have to say that while facebook is fun and quick (and sharing pictures and videos is so easy, especially with my grandchildren far away), it really isn't the same as an old-fashioned letter, or even a newsy email or a good phone call. 

No comments: