Saturday 27 February 2010

The tongue is a fire...

February 24, 2010

Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind…. 4. The words of a man’s mouth are deep waters; the fountain of wisdom is a bubbling brook…. 7. A fool’s mouth is his ruin, and his lips are the snare of his soul. 8. The words of a whisperer are like dainty morsels; and they go down into the innermost part of the body…

Father, I “whispered” once yesterday… I thought, “Oh, it’s important she understands this” … but I didn’t ask You… and afterwards, almost as soon as I said it, I realized I was probably just causing more trouble… please forgive me, Lord… and if possible, please circumvent any trouble my “whispers” could start…. Please??? Boy – we sure can’t take back our words, can we?

James 5:2 … If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well… 6. And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell… 8. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison. 9. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; 10 from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way…

(Father, you didn’t put me in this place because of my wisdom and understanding – You put me there to force me to keep quiet – and thus to learn Your wisdom… and gain Your understanding…. by being forced to listen and observe – with minimal chance to react or mouth off myself! And yet – I know that even a couple years ago I would not have been ready to stay a bit quiet and to not worry too much… so it is also a new step in the continuing journey… Your have prepared me for it in the past… through hard times… and now You are building on that even more!! It isn’t about me at all!!! It’s Your work in my little life – a work I could never do by myself! Thank You! I love You, Lord! Praise the Lord! Amen!)

James 5:13 Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom. 14. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart [oh Father… right now I feel so sad for these people in their hurt and pain and disagreements and anger and such… but it was really only a very short time ago that I was in that same place, and I, myself, was bound up in “remembering the past” with bitterness and unforgiveness and self-righteousness… and gossip, and angry self-righteous words, repeated over and over and over to anyone who would listen…

… all those years I was angry at my dad for “ruining my life” when I was 13 and he got angry at me for… well, for being 13 and no longer thinking he was perfect, I guess, oh my! And I held grudges against him almost till he died! Terrible! I did come to love him – though for many years I refused even that… but then, in Your grace, You first allowed me to see how much he loved his grandchildren… and through that I realized how much he really did love us, his children… and that really softened up my heart.. and then You gave me that last, final summer with him when he was dying of cancer, at my hoe… and I realized that hanging onto the “past” … and to unforgiveness… was just useless, a huge waste, stupid… evil! … and we learned to just love and accept each other before he was gone, before You took him home (though afterward, there were still moments – You know, issues with the estate – where the old anger/ hurt/ etc threatened to kick up again and overwhelm… but You graciously brought me through that, too, and forgave me yet again! Wow! Thank You!!!...

… and there was my anger at T for “ruining my teaching career” and that other guy for “refusing to hire me” … but ha! You knew I needed to be home with my kids during those teen years!!! … and that incident at that church with “that man” who was so opposed to my participation in the “church worship/ music” …

…. and oh Father; there were times when I was so upset even in our own family, and hurt, angry, hopeless… and badmouthed them, too – those in my own family who I really did, at the very same time, love the most!!!

So I see, upon reflection (from You!! Fro Your word, guided and taught by Your Spirit!) that what is going on at this moment, among this part of Your family, is not unusual (or even hopeless, in You – hurrah!) – it is part of the “human condition,” part of the fleshly, carnal, sinful nature of all people… and it is only You, because of Jesus’ blood, and Your love for us, Your washing, cleansing, growing and maturing us, bringing us into Your love, wisdom, understanding, into the fruit of Your Spirit, that we can change at all!

And then – we can change – fully! – as You draw us along… It’s a process, it’s a journey… it takes time… but You are doing it… even among these people, in this group… because they do want to walk with You!!! It is not hopeless! You put shepherds in place, those who’ve already walked the treacherous path with You, and have learned a bit, who are a little bit more mature in You, to guide the lambs who are still stumbling, still growing (like toddlers learning to crawl and walk… and run! )….

Oh Father, I’ve longed to be a “shepherd” in some way… thinking I can’t because I’m a woman etc… and here You have put me in a kind of shepherding place… alongside several others… maybe even all of them… who are also shepherding, each in their area of understanding and grace… and I didn’t even realize it until You showed me just now! Wow! That is awesome! (And a bit scary… and humbling… but it is also wonderful – because it is all about You – Your plan, Your way!

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes…

James 5:14 But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth. 15. This wisdom is not that which comes from above, but is earthly, natural, demonic. 16. For when jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing. 17. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. 18. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe…. 12… humility goes before honor. 13. He who gives an answer before he hears, it is folly and shame to him. 14. The spirit of a man can endure his sickness, but as for a broken spirit who can bear it? …. 19. A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city and contentions are like the bars of a citadel…. 21. Death and life are in the power of a man’s tongue and those who love it will eat its fruit…. 24… there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother [That is You, Lord! Thank You!] … The mind of he prudent acquires knowledge and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge!

By the way, got an email today that read: “There is power of life and death in the tongue. An encouraging word to someone who is down can lift them up and help them make it through the day… A destructive word to someone who is down can be what it takes to kill them. So, choose your words with care… Speak life to those who cross your path. Speak words to empower and lift up. Speak encouraging words – they can go a long way to happiness and healing. Take the time to encourage each other.

No comments: