Monday 17 May 2010

street church... day of rest (mostly) ...

STREET CHURCH … DAY OF REST (MOSTLY)…

May 16, 2010 (Sunday)

Sunday (May 16) started with Another Chance Okanagan street ministry breakfast and gathering of the street church. If you’re wondering what it is about, check out the link, or search this site (try “Another Chance” or “street church”) for my observations!

Later, after I got home, I broke my “day of rest” rule for a few moments, and signed on to delicious.com! I also tagged my sites with Delicious and Twitter… hmmm…

When I went to university back in the day (University of British Columbia, 1977 to 1979), I wanted to take my last 3 years of university in 2 years. The rule was that to take 21 units per semester (plus summer school) instead of the usual 15 units, one had to maintain a 1st class average. Well! Most people were telling me that I’d have to study 7 days a week. But others told me I’d need to take a full day off each week, no matter what. I had been brought up in a church background in which “keep the Sabbath holy, by making Sunday a day of rest” was a key “Biblical” precept, so having already developed the habit, I decided to continue it. And I ended up with higher marks that I’d ever had before, in high school or college.

Later, I read research studies which strongly suggest that our human bodies do function best in 7 day cycles in which one day is always keep as a day to rest from our normal work! So here I am, really trying to follow the precept again. And generally, I’m succeeding – but sometimes I “fail” a little! I’m not going to beat myself up about it, though. Still, it really does give me time and space to relax (which I am not naturally very good at) and to enjoy Father and His world!

In the afternoon, hubby took me for a drive up the valley. When we got to Kelowna, he took me into the Chapters store, and announced that I could buy whatever books I wanted, as anniversary presents! How sweet! So of course I had a wonderful time browsing. And I ended up getting a book I’ve been wanting ever since the 2nd Edition came out in late April: ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income by Darren Rowse and Chris Garrett. Although I’d be happy to settle for a five-figure (or even a four-figure, at this point) income, I’ve been impressed enough by their blogs to want to take a look at their pointers! (Hmmm… does buying that book count as “breaking my day of rest rule?” lol…)

No comments: