Saturday 7 November 2009

being part of Your family: wondering how You want that to happen

July 12, 2009

So after church in the park I went “to church” … and the scripture was Psalm 84:10-12 … surprise! This was part of my own reading this morning! “For a day in your courts is better than a thousand (outside/ elsewhere). I would rather stand at the threshold of the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness… No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly. O LORD of hosts, how blessed is the man who trusts in You!”

Pastor J asked, “If you knew you only had one day left to live, what would you do with it?” He pointed out that serving God, even in the smallest, least noticed ways, is far greater than all the “pleasures” of the world.

Father, I’ve quite often heard that scripture used as the basis for sermons/ teachings on the necessity of “going to church faithfully.” Father, I still don’t know what to think about “church.” I do so want to be part of Your family… but I wonder how You want that to happen?

I keep wondering exactly what You want from me at church-in-the-park (besides making fried bread and other goodies, and just being friendly). Today, P started to read the scripture he planned to talk about, then realized he’d written down the wrong reference. He was scrambling to find the right one, and I asked him what he was looking for, and he said, “It’s about love.” I immediately suggested 1 John 4. And then in his talking, he said, “That’s what Norma is here for!” (ie knowing which scripture, where it is found). I think he was just being humorous, maybe, but I realized that people often ask me where this or that scripture is found, and I can often find it right away or very quickly…. Hmmm… serving God in the little things, eh!

No comments: