Tuesday 9 March 2010

Agendas, etc...

9 March 2010

Prov 4:14 Do not enter the path of the wicked and do not proceed in the way of evil men. 15. Avoid it, do not pass by it; turn away from it and pass on…. 18. But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, that shines brighter and brighter until the full day. 19. The way of the wicked is like darkness; they do not know over what they stumble…. 23. Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life. 24. Put away from you a deceitful mouth and put devious speech far from you. 25. Let your eyes look directly ahead and let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you. 26. Watch the path of your feet and all your ways will be established. 27. Do not turn to the right or to the left; turn your foot from evil.

The thing, Father, that puzzles – and confuses – me the most in all that has been going on, is that these people are believers, part of Your body, and are saying – and believing, I really think! – that they are doing what they are doing, for You! And also believing, therefore, that they are right. But Father, it seems like the path is darkness, not light shining brighter and brighter… And their path, it seems to me, is also darkness, twisting and turning according to how things can be twisted to fit the “agenda” … which they do believe is Your agenda…

Father, if they are believers, can they at the same time be in “the path of the wicked”?? Or are they simply “deceived”? And is that different from wickedness? (Eve was deceived and look how that turned out…) (But is it “different” for those now “saved by grace”???)

Oh… “agenda” … is that different than Your “purpose/ will”?? Can You even have an “agenda”?? (When I think of “agenda” I think of “the ends justify the means.”) (And so the means can become un-holy, un-righteous, un-loving… as long at the means – apparently – achieve the desired end…) (And that doesn’t sound like You at all… or does it?) (I could go into a long discussion about that… but not right now :-`)

But that still doesn’t solve my “dilemma” as to whether the people all tangled up in this horrible mess could actually be “wicked” (or at least wandering in “the path of the wicked”) in spite of being believers… I keep hoping You will open their eyes so they can see Your light… and thus they will also see the darkness of the path they’re stumbling along….

But of course we all do that, at least sometimes… I do, too… and You forgive me, and bring me back onto Your path of light… even when I sometimes consciously, purposefully, go off onto other paths… and I’m not at all sure that they’ve stumbled into this dark path “on purpose” … and yet, the troubles that have come are so, so, so “dark” … so why can’t they just stop and say, “I wonder if at least part of this is my problem? I wonder if maybe I’m on a dark path myself?” (Father??)

(I wonder if it would help if we spent at least equal time poring over Your word, asking for the guidance of Your Spirit, as we do poring over the “constitution and bylaws,” looking for any little points that might seem to hold up our agenda/ viewpoint? But I guess it is also very easy to pore over Your word looking for those little points too… oh Father, we must repent, turn away completely from our agendas… and allow – beg – Your Holy Spirit to cleanse our spirits and unite Your heart to our hearts, so that we too will develop hearts filled with Your love, Your peace, Your goodness, kindness, grace, righteousness… and no “agenda” but just relationship in Your Love … with/in You…)

No comments: