Friday 2 April 2010

So why write - especially, why write for believers?

2 April 2010

Sometimes I wonder, “Why bother writing about these things? Isn’t there already a glut of writing and speaking aimed at believers? Are there not a lot of people far more qualified that I? Shouldn’t people just read the Word, and avoid all the other writing that too often (like my own writing…) perhaps carries ideas that are not truly centered on You?” And then I read in the word:

1 John 1:5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to You… 7… if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin…. 2:1… I am writing this for you so that you may not sin… 5… whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected…

(Yes, I too have heard from You – and what You have taught me is indeed good news, and worthy of being announced. I do want to share Your light. You have done amazing things in my life, and I do want others to hear about it, and want to experience that too!)

1 John 2:12 I am writing to you [believers]… because your sins have been forgiven you for His name’s sake. 13… because you know Him who has been from the beginning… because you have overcome the evil one… because you know the Father. 14. … because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one. 15. Do not love the world nor the things in the world… 17. The world is passing away… but the one who does the will of God lives forever…
21. I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it, and because no lie is of the truth… 24… let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning… you also will abide in the Son and in the Father… 25… eternal life… 26 These things I have written to you concerning those who are trying to deceive you. 27. As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him. 28. Now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming.

(So – we need to hear from each other. We need to be reminded of where Father has brought us already. We need to encourage each other to stand firm in the Truth. We need to help each other abide in the Son and the Father. We need to warn each other of deceptive teaching. We need to encourage each other to abide in the Spirit, who teaches us and guides us in all that Jesus taught, all that He learned from the Father. We need to encourage each other to keep our eyes on the goal, on the end-point – which is really the true, eternal beginning, the great adventure with Jesus face to face forever!)

(And I love that with our modern communications devices, like this blog, we can discuss and share and encourage each other. But I also long to share, in face to face relationships with others. We need each other. That is Father’s plan, too. That is His church.)

2 Peter 1:12 Therefore, I will always be ready to remind you of these things, even though you already know them, and have been established in the truth which is present with you. 13. I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder… 15. And I will also be diligent that at any time after my departure you will be able to call these things to mind. 16. For… we were eyewitnesses of His majesty…

(Peter never stopped reminding the believers till the day he died. And he left a written record also, which has reverberated down the centuries, down two millennia, and still counting. Father, let me too be a “stir-up” writer! What an incredible goal for believing writers – to pass on those reminders and encouragement even after we are gone. For we, too, are eyewitnesses! We too are called to go into all the world! Thank You, Father!)

I do have to speak out:
- orally: at Another Chance street ministry as I share with my brothers and sisters, and those who will also come to Jesus, in friendly conversation and any other opportunity that arises; and to women’s groups; and with friends; and in studies of Your word; and with my family…
- and in action: showing the love of Jesus in practical ways with all those whose paths I cross…
- and yes, in my writing! (and maybe even some sketching to illustrate it!)

Thank You, Jesus! Amen!

No comments: