Friday 15 January 2010

Bible studies... book studies... doing... being...

13 January 2010

Prov 4:13 Take hold of instruction; do not let go. Guard her, for she is your life… 18. But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, that shines brighter and brighter until the full day…. 27. Do not turn to the right or to the left: turn your foot from evil.

Papa, I don’t want to be led astray. I want to know You and understand Your word. Sometimes I SO long to be in a good Bible-study group… But at the same time I’m kind of nervous of “theological interpretations” … I just see so much disunity caused by those who consider their particular (very narrow) theological viewpoint to be sacrosanct, while considering all others to be wrong, even hell-bound! I do believe, of course, that there are “orthodox” core principles, values, beliefs to be found in Your word… but that they must be guided and taught by Your Holy Spirit, not just by the intellect of man, which is always influenced by worldly (including “religious”) perspectives.

Which is why knowing You – not just knowing about You – is so crucial, key, important. Every study group needs to be centered first of all in knowing You, listening for Your voice, praying and seeking the guidance of Your Spirit. And studying Your Word… not the words and interpretations written by men. It is interesting to read and consider other books, too… but it is always crucial to come back to the “whole word of God” to see if those “interesting, even inspirational, ideas” in other books, line up with Your word.

“Book studies” for their own sake make me nervous! And I would certainly hope that anyone who reads what I write would always take it with a grain of salt, and always go back to Your word and to Your Spirit for questioning, direction, confirmation, understanding… When I look at my writings through time, I see so many changes… and side-tracks sometimes… and development… it’s a reflection of my own journey…

Understanding, knowledge, wisdom in all mankind is a developing thing… and if it is not grounded “if the fear of the Lord” it will inevitably take some very seriously wrong turns. There is of course “absolute wisdom”: and it is found only in You. You are not only the source of wisdom, You ARE wisdom, just as You are love and goodness and justice and righteousness and so on.

Luke 8:15 But the seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance.

Papa? Am I bearing any fruit? At all?

Sometimes I feel like I’ve gone from one extreme – studying and studying – to another extreme – doing and doing… Everybody (okay, certainly not everybody, but a lot of people lately) say, “Just BE” and you’ll attract people to the Lord as they see Him in you… but I’m thinking that there is still need for Godly teaching! (And not just because I enjoy studying and even teaching!)

v.18 So take care how you listen; for whoever has to him more shall be given; and whoever does not have, even what he thinks he has shall be taken away from him…. 21. My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.

See? Learning AND doing! Papa??

YOU were a teacher, Jesus (and learner – always listening to Papa)! A lot! As well as One who did a lot of “good deeds!” 

No comments: