Monday 18 May 2009

the tithe thing... and slavery vs freedom

May 4, 2009 (continued)

Papa, I've been "worrying" about "the tithe." ... and we seem to have been "wasting money, digging into the tithe" with things like the steam cleaner, and "wasting gas" going out for drives (but wow, You have saved us from "car expenses" over and over, with these 2 wonderful cars You have provided: Big Red and Little Red :-) Wow! So really "low maintenance" and all... and when one "breaks down" the other is there... and good gas mileage (we only spent $37 on gas the other day... and didn't gas up from April 8 to May 2! Wow! What's with that?!? We just don't seem to need the car much!)... and hubby has enjoyed those "drives" the past couple days (and so have I, and You've been teaching me from them!)... and I've had so much fun with the camera, and sharing photos... Oh Papa! We are so blessed! To have a marriage with love (and form me - and him, too, no doubt - to have You here to share with, talk with, when we can't seem to talk/share with each other for whatever reason...).

Oh, what I was writing about "wasting the tithe"... and just living expenses... and buying that new printer (and me excusing myself, saying, well, I can use it for You...)... and all the "eating out" we've done the past few days... and as I was sitting here visiting with You, Papa (I was going to write, "having coffee with You!" It just seems like such an appropriate metaphor!!!) it occurred to me that maybe You're taking me through a de-tithing time, too (so I can learn to just give joyfully, gratefully, freely!!! Wow!!! Yay! I love You, Father!)...

So I just opened Your Word, and this jumped out at me (before I even started to read "today's reading" : it's underlined and it was just right there!) Mt. 21: 13 It is written, he said to them, My house will be called a house of prayer; but you are making it a den of robbers. (Someone said that a "den of robbers" is not the place where the robbing takes place, but the place that the robbers plan their robberies, and then go back to afterwards to gloat over their loot, and hoard it, and plan more robberies... oh my.... oh dear...). So, Papa, does that have something to do with the whole "tithe thing?"

But verse 14 says about Jesus in God's house: The blind and the lame came to him at the temple and he healed them. That is a whole totally different thing than it being used as a "den of robbers" ... A place to come and be healed by You, Jesus! walking with Papa, led by Your Holy Spirit! Verse 15: "Hosanna to the Son of David!"

And Father, You also say that your house is a "house of prayer" ... Jeremiah 7:11 a house of prayer which bears God's Name ... Isaiah 56:6-7 a place to serve the LORD, worship Him, keep the Sabbath, hold fast to His covenant... joy, offerings and sacrifices accepted....

Papa?? What are You teaching me? Jesus? Sarayu Holy Spirit? Galatians 5:1 (from You!) It is for freedom that Christ as set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery... Galatians 5:5 But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision (hmmm... or churchianity or unchurchianity?) has any value... The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love... Galatians 6:15 What counts is a new creation... 16 Peace and mercy to all who rollow this rule, even to the Israel of God...

(This is all coming from a "cross reference" I wrote in the margin at Matthew 21:21 a long time ago! .... and I don't even see the "connection" now to the cross reference - whatever it meant to me then - but Galatians 5 was meant by You for me today... and yesterday I was too tired to finish my Bible reading so I left the Matthew reading for today... there are no coincidences in Your economy! Praise God!)

Gal 5:9 A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough... v11 persecution... the offence of the cross [a good and necessary thing, obviously!]... 13. serve one another in love. 14. The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." :-)

BUT (15. If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other [I've been there... :-( ... forgive me, Father... forgive me, please, those I've bitten and devoured... and maybe destroyed, oh dear :-( ].... v 20: hatred, doscord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions, envy... 26 conceited, provoking and envying each other...

v.16 So I say, LIVE BY THE SPIRIT, AND YOU WILL NOT GRATIFY THE DESIRES OF THE SINFUL NATURE... 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law... v. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law... 24. belong on Christ Jesus... crucified the sinful nature... 25 Since we live by the Spirit, LET US KEEP STEP WITH THE SPIRIT. .. 6:2 Carry each others' burdens, and in this way You will fulfill the law of Christ... 6:9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up...10... Therefore, AS WE HAVE OPPORTUNITY, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers...

Thinking about what ___ said about being quiet and observing: I used to have so much to say... now... not much at all (and when I do open my mouth, my foot seems to so often fall right in... was it doing that before and I just didn't see it?) (Proverbs says even a fool will seem wise if he keeps quiet!).

(aside.... hmmm.... Anyone who receives instruction in the Word must share all good things with his instructor... Papa???)

No comments: