Monday 13 March 2017

Broken and Contrite Hearts

(originally journaled Oct. 15, 2016)

"God uses most for His glory those people and things which are most perfectly broken. The sacrifices He accepts are broken and contrite hearts."

First thought: I wonder if "famous" Christian speakers and leaders have broken and contrite hearts. On the surface, their lives seem pretty "together" most of the time. But who knows what is happening in the background and in their hearts? God only, I suspect, and maybe a few people really close to them have an idea of it.

Second thought: I wonder if, in the end, whether it is actually the "famous" people who are most used of God and whose lives truly give Him glory. I'm sure He does not see and measure the way we do. On the one hand, a famous person with a broken and contrite heart can do much good and give the glory to God--but how hard it is, that that kind of position, to remain with a broken and contrite heart (even if it was true at first) and to stay humble and give God the glory. Kind of like what Jesus said about how hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

I suspect a lot of people most "used of God for His glory" are ones we'd never suspect or even notice. Of course, even then, pride is an awful temptation for every one of us. It sure is for me, I know that. I fall into it all the time--and sometimes (too often) feel resentful that we are to accept being humble, being "the least." I want to be recognised and applauded. I want to do great things--including for God.

We are told we need to do great things for God, be great soul winners, be great leaders in the church, be involved in great causes and projects. But Jesus calls us to be "the least of these," to be "servants," or even slavees. There's such a tension between Jesus' teaching and how we interpret it and apply it in a world that lauds the "winners," the "greatest."

No comments: