Saturday 28 August 2010

blank slate following Jesus

Confession time.  If you've followed this blog at all, you know that I've struggled with following Jesus day-by-day, moment-by-moment.  I'm impatient.  And self-centered.  I want to be able to see the future, not so much so I'll be emotionally prepared for what's coming, or so my life will be more secure or comfortable, or anything like that. But I  do want to know what's coming, so I can make plans.  So I can introduce my brilliant ideas.  So I can make exciting things happen sooner.  So when it happens, people will see how much I did to make it happen, and will be proud of me.

Keith Giles, in his posting, The Secret Formula of the Kingdom, talks about how,
In the Kingdom of God, there are no short answers. Sound bites are inadequate. Formulas do not exist. Your comfort zone is irrelevant. Tension is the new status quo for a citizen of the Kingdom of God, not resolution.
He says God is unpredictable, and we need to come before Him every day with a blank slate. Ask Him what He's doing right now.  Then listen.  And wait.  Trust Him.  And then only do what He's doing.

In the kingdom life, we have to let go our control.  Forget the formulas and live in Christ by the power of the Spirit.

(Check out Keith's posting.  Right on.).

No comments: