Tuesday 19 January 2010

missing "institutional church" ???

January 18, 2010

Job 1:1 … blameless, upright, fearing God and turning away from evil… 5. …. Would send and consecrate [his children] … offering burnt offerings… “Perhaps my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did continually…. 20. Then [after he lost all his belongings and all his children] Job arose and tore his robes and shaved his head, and he fell to the ground and worshiped. 21. He said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed by the name of the LORD.” 22. Through all this Job did not sin nor did he blame God.

God was confident of His child, Job! (see v 12). Father, I want to walk with You like Job did… but I have so far to go…..

And I do keep wishing for more time together with You and Your people… I find I’m kind of confused these days… There are many things about “institutionalized church” that trouble me, that just do not seem to line up with Your word (??)… and yet, I also find myself missing a lot of it… especially the time with people…. It seems like if you stop attending a church, many of your “best friends” aren’t your friends anymore. (Well, I shouldn’t be surprised; the same thing seems to happen when one leaves any “institution” – school, work, organizations…). (But you’d think it would be different with church – if it really is the “family” of God…)

Oh Papa, what’s up? (Maybe You want me to be the friend who doesn’t let go of my “church friends,” in spite of their concern (or hurt, or frustration) over me no longer being part of the “church organization” – maybe you want me to care and to lead people into healthy fellowship, real love relationship, with You and Your church – outside the “organizational structure” …)

Jer 3:15 Then I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will feed you on knowledge and understanding.

Gal 6:2. Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ… 4. But each one must examine his own work…. 6. The one who is taught the word is to share all good things with the one who teaches him…. 8… the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. 9. Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10. So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith…. 14. But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15. For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation.

No comments: