Tuesday 15 November 2016

Comfortable Words

(journaled April 7, 2016)

"Hear what comfortable words our Saviour Christ saith unto all that truly turn to him."

I have to admit I love the old-fashioned words and expressions in the old Anglican Common Prayer book. "Comfortable!" It does mean "comforting" but it's more than that--it has the sense of being with a beloved family member you are totally comfortable with and totally trust. And it even has a shade of meaning similar to how I feel about the cozy old blue chair ("my" chair!) that I'm curled up in right now, where I feel safe and warm, and have spent many happy hours reading and writing and visiting.

Anyway, some of Jesus' comfortable words: (and they truly are!):

"Come unto me all that travail and are heavy laden, and I will refresh you." Matthew 11:25

"So God loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, to the end that all that believe in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

And Paul's words:
"This is a true saying, and worthy of all men to be received, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief." I Tim 1:15 (My grandpa's favourite verse)

And John's words:
"If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and he is the propitiation for our sins." 1 John 2:1

Comfortable words indeed!

No comments: